Robbery suspects claim police brutality
ACCUSED: Diraditsile and Digobe

Trio in court for stealing Choppies cash

Three men suspected to have robbed Security Services Company cash –in- transit vehicle of P110 848.70 have claimed they have been assaulted and tortured by the Criminal Investigating Department (CID) officers.

The trio of Deric Badisa Sutlhe (24), an employee of Security Services, Tutu Digobe (40) and Mosireletsi Diraditsile (37) lodged the torture complaints during their appearance before Molepolole Magistrate, Rosemary Khuto this week.

The suspects claimed that in an effort to extract a confession out of them, CID officers applied electric shock to their private parts and boxed their ears and then denied them an opportunity to seek medical assistance from the hospital.

Sutlhe told the court that his ears suffered internal bleeding, making it difficult for him to hear clearly.

“My girlfriend is heavily pregnant, I’m afraid that if I stay in prison any longer, she will probably have a miscarriage. I am also financially responsible for her as she is unemployed so, may I please be granted bail,” pleaded Sutlhe.

Tutu on the other hand said the police unlawfully confiscated all the proceeds of his business during their search. He further claimed that he did not know the 3rd accused (Diraditsile) but only knew the 1st accused (Sutlhe) as one of his customers.
Pleading for his bail, Diraditsile said he was caring for his aging and sickly mother and he was also looking after an orphan.

According to the charge sheet, the three accused persons and two others not before the court on the 20th January 2018, at Boswelakoko ward, in Molepolole broke into Security Services Company motor vehicle and stole P110 848.70 belonging to Letlhakeng and Thebephatshwa Choppies stores.

The Prosecutor Inspector Thema Marumolo of Molepolole Police Station convinced the court to keep the trio in prison because investigations were ongoing and police were yet to arrest two more suspects and recover all the stolen money.

The magistrate advised the three men to launch an assault case with the police or the Ombudsman if they so wished.