‘Relieve the demon that haunts me'
REMANDED: Kgotlaeme claims to be possessed by a demon

Valentine’s Day murder suspect begs for exorcism

Despite the seriousness of the allegations against him, murder accused Tebogo Kgotlaeame’s latest appearance before Molepolole Magistrate Court had many in the packed gallery biting back bemused laughter.

The 30-year-old is in custody, suspected of raping and then murdering Judith Kgalalelo Mosweu, 28, before torching her body.

The dead woman’s badly burnt remains were found discarded near Ratotoboro settlement on Valentine’s Day.

It is alleged Kgotlaeame abducted Mosweu the previous day (13 February), having offered the Letlhakane native a lift from Molepolole to Gaborone.

In his subsequent testimonies before court, the accused killer has claimed to be possessed by an evil spirit, which drives him to commit murder.

Taking to the stand again this week, he demanded to know why students at Salajwe’s Lempu Junior Secondary School received immediate attention when they were attacked by demons whereas he was yet to be assisted.

“The prosecution could have brought a doctor or assisted me to meet a social worker, or a pastor just to relieve the demon that affects me. They are only talking about me being taken for psychiatric examination. This psychiatric promise is just word of mouth – no booking was done! ” he said, addressing the court confidently in fluent English.

Kgotlaeame further complained about the prosecution constantly changing their lead officer, which has happened three times since the case began.

“Today it’s this one, tomorrow that one, how long will my bail be curtailed?” demanded the suspect, who is no stranger to the courtroom, having previously appeared in 2014, again charged with a woman’s murder – a case in which he was eventually discharged.

Attempting to clear up what he described as a ‘misunderstanding’ after refusing to give police a sample of his blood, Kgotlaeame told court, “The police wanted to take my blood sample, they never told me what they were going to do with the blood.

“I only got an explanation later in court that they wanted to do some tests as they found two used condoms in my apartment.”

During the previous mention, the Principal Prosecution Counsel, Enock Mahwite, requested the court order Kgotlaeame to undergo a DNA test after he refused to have his blood taken.

The request was successful, with the prosecution currently waiting on the results from the forensic affidavit.

Mahwite had also requested that the accused undergo psychiatric examination, following utterances that ‘may suggest an unstable mind instigated by unknown causes’. However, as Kgotlaeame was at pains to point out, the examination is yet to happen.

Much to his frustration, the suspect was remanded in custody and will next appear for mention on May 21st before Chief Magistrate, Goabaone Ramapudi.