EYE FOR AN EYE: Gabaakanye has been executed

Botswana Prisons Service have confirmed the execution of death row inmate, Patrick Gabaakanye, at the Gaborone Central Prison this morning.

Gabaakanye’s hanging follows his murder conviction on March 13, 2014 and the subsequent appeal against conviction and sentence that was dismissed by the Court of Appeal on 30 July last year.

The 65-year old Gabaakanye notoriously known as ‘Raselepe’ for his axe-wielding exploits, was sentenced to death by Justice Lakvinder Singh Walia for the murder of a blind old man, Rapula Serojane, at Gamosusu lands near Metsimotlhabe six years ago.

Gabaakanye whose criminal CV boasted of more than twelve convictions of theft, armed robbery, rape and murder that date from as far back 1983 brutally killed the 75-year old Serojane and wounded his wife, Fortie Serojane, with an axe on the head.

During trial the court heard of how on the evening of 26 May 2010, Gabaakanye attacked the elderly couple and robbed them of household utensils which included tupperware containers, cups and cutlery as well as an Omega Radio and a Nokia 1208 cellphone.

On the fateful evening Gabaakanye went to his victims’ place pretending to be looking for accommodation.

While he was still talking to Fortie, the old man emerged from the toilet and Gabaakanye grabbed him and struck him repeatedly on the head with an axe.

LUCKY TO BE ALIVE: Fortie Serojane
LUCKY TO BE ALIVE: Fortie Serojane

Serojane collapsed and when his wife screamed for help, Gabaakanye hit her on the head and she passed out only to recover at the hospital where her husband was certified dead.

According to a post-mortem report prepared by Dr Enock Prabhakar, Serojane suffered cranial blunt force as well as cutting force injuries ‘caused by a heavy cutting weapon.

The deceased had suffered at least five different blows to the head.

After the brutal attack on the Serojanes, Gabaakanye evaded the police and continued with his criminal activities.

The police got wind of his whereabouts after he attacked another victim, Dibula Manake and stole her handbag and cellphone which he used to call his friends.

It was after one of his calls was traced and, with the help of Mascom officials, it was found that he had been in communication with another jailbird, David July, that the police managed to locate and arrest him.

Justice Walia passed the death sentence after considering that there were no extenuating circumstances to mitigate against Gabaakanye’s moral blameworthiness.

Gabaakanye then appealed the conviction through his lawyers, Dingake and Associates and Ditshwanelo Centre for Human Rights which was dismissed by the Court of Appeal.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
Notify of