A family of suspected thieves
'GANGSTA GRANNY': Sophie Tshomane


Having spent the last two weeks in prison, a 64-year-old grandmother heaved a weary sigh of embarrassed relief when Mochudi Magistrates Court granted her bail on Tuesday.

To add to her humiliation, Sophie Tshomane was joined in court by three of her children, the four facing multiple charges of housebreaking and theft.

Completing the family affair were 34-year-old Mmamiso Tshomane, Tebogo Tshomane, 38, and Ofentse Tshomane, 26, in what was a day out to forget for the Tshomane clan.

Indeed, the old woman’s freedom was bittersweet as her two sons were remanded in custody, whilst Mmamiso was allowed to go home with her mama.

The quartet face four counts of breaking into and stealing from a dwelling, including robbing P7, 850 worth of household goods from one Kagiso Kaizer Gaobepe on October 06TH

Details of the case are that Sophie and her offspring were arrested on the 11th of October, after a police search of their family home in Phaphane Ward unearthed stolen goods.

However, Ofentse managed to escape during the raid and was eventually apprehended in Serowe on Monday, before being briefly reunited with his family in the dock the following day.

During his failed bail application, Ofentse insisted that he was not a flight risk.

The young suspect claimed he had been following the orders of ‘mysterious voices’, which told him to go to Serowe and consult with his traditional doctor at the time the police were searching for him.

“My lord, please release an order to call my Sangoma to come testify that I went for consultations,” he begged.

His pleas were unsuccessful, however, as the visibly agitated presiding Magistrate, Keneilwe Resheng curtly told the suspect, “I cannot make a ruling based on spiritual things.”

Ofentse is also a suspect in a house breaking, kidnapping and robbery case involving one Selekanyo Linchwe.

Linchwe, who is related to the Mochudi royal family, was recently abducted from her house in Pilane and abandoned at Malotwane settlement near Mochudi.

She sustained a broken arm and leg during the incident and is currently recovering at Deborah Retief Memorial Hospital in Mochudi.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
Notify of