Some writers are crazy about grammar; I’m not one of them. I do my best, but I know I’m not perfect.
Editors and proofreaders help to find writers’ mistakes, but having said that, you still need to have a basic understanding of grammar if you intend to be a writer.
Sending out emails to publishers riddled with grammatical mistakes is unprofessional and makes you look foolish.
So let’s see – how’s your grammar?
Let’s try a little test with mistakes I commonly see.
Try to do it without looking at the answers below. When you’re finished add up your points and see where you stand.
1. Bob was _____tired when he arrived from the UK.
a) quite b) quiet
2. The table fell and ____leg broke.
a) its b) it’s
3. Mpho performed better _____Kago on the maths exam.
a) then b) than
4. Refilwe waited with _____ breath to hear the results of the competition.
a) bated b) baited
5. The book needed a glossary; it was a last minute ___.
a) edition b) addition
6. “Your character in chapter two is a bit flat, you need to ____him out a bit,” the editor said.
a) flash b) flesh
7. The _____ leash was made of expensive leather.
a) dog’s b) dogs
8. If it had any _____ it was to stop everyone from working.
a) effect b) affect
9. It was _____car that was hit by the meteor.
a) there b) their
10. If _____going to the movie you better leave now.
a) your b) you’re
11. He only worked three days because it was just a ____job.
a) piece b) peace
12. She carried that black bag everywhere and it ____everyone’s interest.
a) peaked b) piqued
13. _____ supposed to work the night shift tonight?
a) who’s b) whose
14. He got to the job ____,but found everyone had left.
a) site b) sight
15. The herd got struck by lightning and all of the _____ calves were killed.
a) cows’ b) cow’s
5 point 0 points
1. A B
2. A B
3. B A
4. A B
5. B A
6. B A
7. A B
8. A B
9. B A
10. B A
11. A B
12. B A
13. A B
14. A B
15. A B
75-70: Grammar whiz kid!!Could I have you edit something…;)
65-50: You’ll get by.
45-35: Go back to your old English textbook and do some studying!
Below 35: You’re embarrassing yourself
Sep 10, 2014
Aug 22, 2014
Jul 04, 2014