Police in Francistown have finally inched forward in cracking the case of a feared Sebina serial killer , rapist and arsonist who has terrorised the area for the past 8 months.
Although investigations were still at an early stage, police were on Wednesday confident that Mgcini Ncube who was arrested last weekend for arson could either be the suspect they have been hunting down or at least be able to lead them in the right direction.
Ncube, 32 has been accused of torching two houses in Sebina in a similar manner to the way the arsonist who has struck fear in the villagers since December last year has been doing it, police said in court.
He was arraigned last week Friday for allegedly tossing fire to Montho Mpalawali and Lumbidzani Mpilo’s huts.
“Currently Tatitown police are investigating at least five more fire incidents in the area and we have a strong feeling that Ncube could be or give us a solution since no one had been arrested yet,” Mosika said and went on to further explain that they have seized the accused man’s boots and clothes.
Police launched a massive manhunt in March after the murder of a 47 year- old Sebina mother of seven, Balebi Machengedza who was attacked at night and stabbed several times with a sharp object while her four children aged between 6 and 14 watched helplessly.
Machengedza’s killer struck fear in the area by leaving a written note threatened to stop only after he had killed six more people and a cop.
Meanwhile the investigating officer, Meshack Mosika, asked the court to put the suspect behind prison bars because: “Apart from the fact that the case was still fresh, Ncube does not have any papers to prove his nationality, birth and true names.
“Police were still liaising with Interpol to ascertain his real names and required necessary facts.”Mosika said.
Ncube who appeared dazed and confused in court wanted to know why the cops suspected that he could be the person behind the crimes which rocked Sebina and the surrounding area.
“Does this mean I will be jailed while the police do their investigations. How long is their investigation going to take?”,” the visibly worried suspect asked
Senior Magistrate Thebeetsile Molalu ordered Ncube to be remanded in custody until the 28th when he is expected to appear in court again for mention.
With Ncube’s boots and clothes still with the forensic lab and only a charge of arson to work with in an attempt to solve a series of crimes including murder of two people, rape of elderly women, arson and theft of cellphones committed in the area over a period of time, the hunt for the Sebina terrorist might however be still far from over.