At least one of the eight teachers implicated in student-teacher lover affairs at the troubled Maun Senior Secondary School has been found guilty and is likely to be relieved of his duties soon.
Addressing students, parents and teachers during a meeting held on Tuesday at Motsamai Mpho School Hall, school head Maenge Mafoko revealed that the teacher is the only one so far to have been implicated in the scandal that rocked the school last term.
The School head explained that five teachers were freed because there was insufficient enough evidence linking them to the accusations.
“We do not know what transpired because at first the students gave a testimony that they were in a relationship with some of the suspect teachers, but they changed their statements when brought before the investigating team.”
Mafoko told the gathering of concerned parents that the implicated teachers could have bribed the students to drop their initial claims.
“It took us by surprise when they denied ever falling in love with those teachers though they had told us before that they had a relationship with them.
Something happened because someone cannot just make such a u-turn,” said the worried head. He mentioned that two of the teachers did not go before the investigating team for reasons of conflict of interest that are still to be investigated.
He said that they had to let the teachers go because there was no evidence though it was a known thing that the teachers were in love with students.
A source at the school told The Voice that immediately after finishing their final examination, one of the former students moved in to stay with the guilty teacher.
“It shows that indeed they were in love all along. The teacher too is not ashamed of that as he had to let the mother of his child leave to accommodate the teenager,” said the source.
The implicated teachers were named in one of the controversial Facebook pages that went under the title, The Voice of Maun Senior School.
Though the person behind the page was suspected to be a student, Mafoko said that they are waiting for police findings as they have engaged them to trace the page owner.
The school management also came up with strict measures to curb waywardness in the school including the banning of cell phones in the school.
The School Deputy Head Boago Senosi said that students would be forced to buy back confiscated phones at P500 if they are found with one in school.
One of the parents pleaded with female teachers to dress in a proper manner to avoid enticing young boys and that did not go well with some teachers as they shouted, “Our Minister Venson failed on that one.”
Meanwhile, Mafoko said that they are still waiting for a report from police on their findings following the burning of the Head of Department’s office and eight classrooms.
The school property burnt down last year forcing the school to close prematurely.
Apr 20, 2015 0Sharing is caring... Gaborone United were crowned...