Piggery has been identified as one of the most commercially viable businesses in Botswana’s agricultural sector.
According to the newly released research results of the Pork Value Chain Analyses of the Piggery Industry in Botswana, pork is the world’s leading choice meat and its demand stands to increase globally in the future as a result of the growth in its per capita consumption as well as the continuing growth in the world population.
When addressing delegates during the announcement of the results recently, Local Enterprise Authority’s (LEA) Director of Research and Development, Masego Gwaila-Madanika said the local piggery industry needed urgent attention to make it more competitive in the region to ensure sustainability. “Therefore this study through the value chain analyses approach, unveils some of the constraints, strengths, weaknesses, and ultimately, opportunities and threats inherent in the piggery sub-sector,” she said.
The study revealed that the pork market in Botswana is highly concentrated in the tourism sector with a 60 percent market share, followed by restaurants with 20 percent. The study revealed that much needed to be done to fully commercialise the industry since only 40 percent of the farmers raise pigs for commercial purposes with the remaining 60 percent doing it for traditional use.
“However, before the local producers can begin to target international markets, they still have vast opportunity domestically pork products to satisfy the unfulfilled demand of the local traders,” the report suggests.
Gwaila-Madanika further revealed that there has been a decline of the Agriculture sector contribution to the country’s GDP over the past years since independence.
“At attainment of Botswana’s Independence this sector contributed 40% of GDP and 27% of formal employment,” she said and added that the sector contribution to both GDP and formal employment has declined by 4 percent.
The study further suggested for the establishment of a national abattoir, national processing plant in Gaborone, regional slaughter facilities in a bid to grow the industry. In addition the study stated that a long term solution towards the development of piggery industry would yield more economic results than short term relief programmes.
The reported concluded that financiers should channel funding towards pork processing while proportionately financing production.